From:
Anna Carolyn Abney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:50:26 EST
>I am having my application pulled from when I moved in, but I am not
>certain if I had mentioned that we have ferrets.  I WILL NOT get rid of
>them, and plan to fight this tooth and nail.  What I need is something
>that would legally state that ferrets are not rodents.  I also would
>like to confront this neighbor but I am unsure how to do it, without
>going off the handle.  That will be the hard part, as I consider my
>ferrets my children.  The one good thing is that I live in Florida
>where ferrets are legal.  So I'm hoping this will help in my battle.

I am a newbie and will send an intro in a minute, but the best way to
do this is to look up ferrets in the book Mammal Species of the World:
A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference by D.E Wilson and D.A.M. Reeder.
This is the internationally recognized compilation of all mammal species
classifications and clearly identifies ferrets as coming from the order
Carnivora, not the order of rodents (not sure of the scientific name of
the rodent order).  Any idiot should be able to tell a rat from a ferret,
but we all know that oftentimes laws are made by less than idiots.  But
ferrets are neither rodents nor livestock and in fact are more acceptable
than dogs, really, since dogs are not considered a separate species from
wolves (they are a subspecies of gray wolf) in the way that ferrets are
considered separate from the European polecat.

As for the roaches, well, my ferret nor my cats allow roaches to live
very long, so the only way I can see a neighbor having a problem with
roaches caused by your ferrets would be if all the roaches are running
screaming into her apartment to escape your ferrets.  LOL

Anna and Vykos
Greenwood, SC