From:
David Childress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 01:06:24 -0500
Hi all,
   I am a new ferret owner and new to this digest. Having not had a fuzzy
before- HELP !! There is some much varience in how to take care of my baby
that I don't know who to believe. The owner that I get her from has a great
shop - but not much of a personality... Anyway here are a few specific
questions that I hope you all can help me answer... (Miko is a
spayed/descented female from Path Valley Farms and is 6 weeks old).

#1 - I am feeding her Science Diet Feline food, package deal with animal and
cage, and her stool seems to be very soft. She's been with me for almost a
week. On day one her stool was firm, but she had just arrived at the store 1
hour before I got her... Now it is runny to very soft. So should I change to
a different food? If so what? If not, what can I do ?

#2 - She seems to have soiled herself - mostly by rolling in the stuff in her
box (which she uses about 70% of the time :)  ). How old does she need to be
before I bathe her and how often ??

#3 - Playthings and housing -- Everyone seems to fear intestinal blockage.
What are appropriate playthings and bedding ? I thought that a tennis ball
would be good (and she seemed to like it), but other say that the fuzz can
become a problem... are they really that susceptable to blockage ?? If so,
would not carpet and old cotton socks (for house padding) be a problem too ?
I'm really trying to find some SAFE playthings around the house. Mostly she
will be supervised when with things like the tennis ball, but I don't want to
needlessly endanger her. Any suggestions appreciated :)

#4 Biting - she bites now only in play - not hard !! How much play is rough
play... What can I count on as being standard ferret play without being too
rough with her ?? She has only drawn blood once and that was the first time
that I picked her up and she had already been stressed flying and riding to
the shop and then getting picked up by some new person... Other than that
she's been great, but I don't want to raise a rough ferret - give me some
guidelines please..

I have ordered the two suggested ferret books, but while I am waiting I need
some advice. Sorry about the long posting, but I need help now. Thanks :)

David Childress

P.S. Miko turns two months on Christmas and wanted to pass along a Merry
Christmas to everyone :)

\/\/\ :)
Miko