Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:36:29 -0400
Hi PAm, you wrote:
>From: Pam Bos <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HSUS official statement
>Hi Everybody and every-furry-body :-)
>The current Humane Society of the US official statement has deemed that
>ferrets are not wild animals. Alicia, is this different than ferrets
>being companion animals?

INDEED it can be-- especially if they are supporting the state to state
legislative lobbying to place ferretes into the exotic category.  ALL
states which provide protection to companion animals , the protection do
not extend clearly to exotics etc.  You are dependent on the good will
and fortitude of the presiding humane society to push for the conviction.

AS we have read over & over thie is NOT happening-- NOT happening in Egg
City Harbor NJ., not happening in Xmas , NJ rescue, not happening in the
recent IL cruelty/ avbuse scenario-- just NOT happening.

So IF you are happy with the recognition that they are not wild animals I
guess then you are happy-- I for one will NOT be content UNTIL ferrets are
recognized as a companion animal-- EQUAL to cats and dogs and AFFORDED THE
SAME PROTECTIONS!

>I thought that the ASPCA and the HSUS were for he adoption and help of
>ferrets as pets?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Pam and Abbygayle, Carrot, Mischief, Emmy, Skippy and Ruby>

Have you checked with the headquarters lately to get a statement?  A
handshake and a smile will get you nothng when it comes down to protection
laws for the pets you love.  If you get the AFA publication - in one of
the last issues there is a very good article by Freddie Hoffman ( thank
you Freddie) on how the ferret is a non-animal to cut t the chase -- this
provides the laboratory industry more lax handling -- etc.  More room to
evade any cruelty issues.  Now do you think this is equal?  Are you happy
with the current national trend to backdoor the ferret as a companion
animal equal to protection by the laws?

You can only believe part of what you read.  And if an organization wants
money from you-- are they going to openly admit the don't recognize your
ferret as a domesticated companion animal?  Probably not!  PLease check
with your regional offices of HSUS and SPCA to see what they consider the
ferret!  Ask how they support cruelty issues and shelter privileges in
regards to this pet.You may well be very very surprised!

I have personally sat in on hearings where HSUS region reps. said it was
not necessary to provide shelter for ferrets-- they can survive in the
wild if strayed ( only 2 years ago).  I have also heard testimony by HSUS
in NH hearings that companion animals do not need owners-- they need
guardianship-- which will be overseen by local shelters-- this is getting
pretty scary Pam!-- THE FOCUS seems to be that of an agenda to relieve
folks of pet ownership.  This combined with an exotics ruling for ferrets
may be scarier than a humane shelter walking into your residence w/o a
search warrant -- and that is the current HSUS trend!  More work needs to
be done NOW in the humane arena-- we have lost some serious footing for
our pets.

Alicia

a very concerned ferret owner and shelter volunteer