From:
june batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 05:44:07 -0800
Declawing..  a barbaric procedure.  Un-beknownst to the vet I work with, I
STRONGLY ADVISE NOT TO, to all people considering this, of course I am
refering to cat owners, I have a list of alternatives.(geez, I hope NO ONE
ever does this to a ferret) let me explain the procedure..nice word for it,
if you look at your finger, the first knuckle below the fingernail,
imagin...someone cutting that off..this is to insure the nail wont grow
back...you are cutting off part of their toe..YUK YUK YUK, and after the
"procedure" they ARE in pain..it takes about 2 weeks to recover.

So, if any animal loses a toe NAIL it depends how far down the break is, if
it is directly under the sheath, you wont know for a while til it starts to
grow, if the damage is further down, it may or may not, depending on the
extent of the damage..I would rather lose a nail than part of my bone any
day!!!

If there are any cat owners who would like alternatives, e-mail me.

And to ferret owners, dont worry about it, unless it looks infected,
everyone here seems to know how to prevent and or treat for infection,
look at it this way, one less nail to dig on the carpet...or trim.

June, Niko and my sweet baby boy "Chandler