From:
Sally Childs-Helton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:42:42 -0500
Here's my two cents on collars: I had a 16-week-old foster ferret who was
dumped at the Humane Society with a collar and bell.  I had just gotten him
home and into the guest cage when I heard a big thrashing and turned to see
him flinging himself aroud the cage with the collar still around his neck
but stuck in his mouth.  He couldn't get it over either jaw, and if I hadn't
been in the room when he did it, he would have seriously hurt himself.  It
was a nice collar and properly fitted, but he still was endangered by it.

After this incident I believe in leaving collars on ONLY while the critter
is supervised, e.g., out for a romp or leaving the house in a carrier or
going for a walk.  A belled collar can help new owners, or owners of new
ferrets, get a feel for where the critter is so the new one doesn't get
stepped on.  And harnesses, with or without collars, are a must for being
out and about.  A collar is a bad place to attach a leash--ferret heads and
necks are thin.  An H-type harness is ideal because the leash attaches over
the animal's shoulders and doesn't pull on the neck and throat.  It's also
easy to pick up the critter on the leash if necessary to keep it from the
dog that just lunged at it.  It also gives a place to attach an ID tag or
barrel, and the a rabies tag.  A collar is fine as a backup and a good place
for a bell.  If the ferret slips the harness then at least it still has a
collar and audible tracer, and people will know it's a pet.  I also keep the
rabies tag on because it gives instant proof of vaccination and may keep
some parent from pressing charges because their little darling did something
nasty to your animal and got bit.  Until all states have quarantine periods
for ferrets for rabies, we can't be too careful.

Please avoid those thin figure-8 harnesses sold at too many stores as
"ferret harnesses." They don't work well, and there are several excellent
H-type harnesses on the market made for ferrets, with matching leashes and
collars for the fashion-conscious.  Every owner must weigh the danger of the
animal getting out and needing a collar for ID, versus ferret-proofing
carefully and only using collars in a supervised environment.  I've opted
for the latter because I feel my animals are more likely to have an accident
using a collar than them getting out.  Another option is to have your
ferrets micro-chipped; see the excellent article in issue 9 of Modern Ferret
Magazine.  As responsible owners we need to make a decision and do what's
right for our situation.

As for pet stores that mistreat animals and hire people who don't have two
brain cells to rub together, PLEASE take some action by calling the local
Humane Society or ASPCA, the Better Business Bureau, a local TV station that
does investigative reporting, other breed clubs, etc., and follow the calls
with polite but firm letters.  Get as many people on your side as possible;
where one animal is being mistreatd in a store, chances are all the animals
are at risk, so go to dog, cat, bird, and reptile clubs for support too.
Unethical businesses continue to do business because nobody calls them on
it.  Instead of feeling bad that there are terrible people in the world who
are ignorant and mean and don't treat animals well, do something about it!
You'll feel better and may actually make a difference!

Sorry for the long post--haven't posted in quite a while and felt it
necessary to get in my 2 cents--free advice is worth what you pay for it!

Cheers,
Sally C-H and the Ferretopia Gang