From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:32:10 -0500
> know of a woman that has recently had a ferret put down.  He was coughing
>hoarsely.  He was put on all sorts of antibiotics as they were sure he
>had bacterial pneumonia.  They did an x-ray of his lungs.  They were
>hideous.  The vet commented that they looked like the lungs of a human
>with emphysema.
>
>His breathing became more laboured.  She tried all sorts of different
>things, but found the most humane thing to do was to put him down.  He was
>three years old.  She had a full PM done on him.  Upon opening the lungs,
>the vet said the ferret had emphysema.  The owner is a smoker.  Has
>anybody else seen this?

I have not yet seen this in ferrets, but I have seen it in both dogs and
cats.  I also had a dog patient with primary lung cancer (relatively
uncommon in dogs).  His owners were heavy smokers.  It makes sense to me
that it could happen in ferrets as well.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.