From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:05:58 -0400
Ok, a little research (the labels listed on the Pepto-Bismol website
(www.pepto-bismol.com)) confirms that Pepto does contain trace amounts of
aspirin, as well as sodium salicylate.  That shouldn't be a big concern,
as Wes and Troy Lynn pointed out.  But, you should check with your vet
before giving Pepto anyway.

If you're really concerned about the aspirin, or if you want to try
to get around the taste problem, try the tablets or caplets.  Neither
of them contain the aspirin or the sodium salicylate.  I'm even able
to give the reviled Flagyl (metronidazole) without a fuss if I cut a
tablet of it up into tiny chunks and serve it with some
Nutrical/Nutrimalt/Ferretvite/etc.  (It's definitely the prep and not
the ferrets.  I can't give liquid Flagyl to the same ferrets.)  You
should be able to serve Pepto tablets the same way.

BTW, I also use the Nutrical trick with Carafate.  Put a dose of Carafate
in the palm of your hand or in a small dish and add a dab of Nutrical (or
whatever).  Stir it until the Nutrical dissolves, and you'll have a sweet
liquid that your ferrets will readily lick up.  This may not be a good
idea with insulinomic ferrets, but for other ferrets it should be ok for
the length of time you're giving them meds.  (Lots of sugar every day is
not recommended.  Small amounts occasionally, or to help get meds down,
should be ok.  After all, if they are eating ferret kibbles, they're
getting plenty of carbs - basically complex sugars - every day anyway.)

roger