From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 07:15:16 +0000
On or about 10/30/97 I posted that the bottom of the angora ferret market
had likely been reached when the Seattle newspaper ran an ad for 8 baby
fancy, angora, 1st time available in US at $195.00 each.

Today, 11/15/97, same add, this time only 6 (kits), and the price has come
down $20 to $175.00 each.

Tell me, how long ago was it that the angora was a severely restricted
supply and one angora sold for $400.00, if you could even get one?

Looks like the price of these special-breed ferrets has fallen drastically
in a relatively short time.

Now that it appears that the angora may become more plentiful, will the show
people have a specialty ring for angoras?  Seems like that would be the
normal way to go, since the coat of an angora isn't really comparable to the
standard "short-haired" ferret, is it?

Now for the big question: Is this the first step down that slippery slope of
species degradation where pressure upon a given species by show people for
something "different" will ultimately sink a species, as has happened to
dogs and cats; their having been bred for the widest spread of conformations
possible and the horrible physical mutilations that resultingly have
followed?

This will be very interesting to see how this develops over the next decade
or so.  Knowing human nature for what it is, I gloomily predict that the
ferret will go the same way as the dog and cat.  And, who will be
responsible?

It's so simple: Shows encourage conformation.  Ferret Olympics encourage
ability, health, robustness, and of greatest importance, encourages bringing
to the forefront the natural frolicksome, impish and comical nature that IS
the ferret.  Perhaps more importantly, it vividly demonstrates the amazingly
intelligent relationship that is developed between a ferret and its owner.

Folks, are we now at the committal "fork" in the road?  Please, put your
emotions aside and think on this clearly as you can.  Which way are you
going to go, or can you go both ways?  Just one way?  Which way?

        Candide et caute. [L.] With candor and caution.
                Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski