From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 17:18:04 EDT
What I do when I see ferrets on craigslist is email the person, tell
them I am an experienced ferret mom and tell them that if they don't
sell their ferret then I will take it and give it a good home. I give
them vet references, tell them about my ferret day.....the length of
ferret playtime, medications given, cleaning cages, etc.....and tell
them they can come to my home and see my other ferrets plus I used to
tell them that they could come back and visit their ferret (they never
do) but not a good idea for the poor ferret who needs to adjust to a
new home. Several of my ferrets came to me through craigslist. They all
included a cage (not good ones). One person drove half a day to bring 2
ferrets to me. I think MOST people ask for money to insure their ferret
isn't going to some unscrupulous person but I have got only ONE ferret
through craigslist that was properly cared for. The improper diet, etc
was mostly due to ignorance. One ferret that came in a group of 3, died
two weeks after arriving because of the previous neglect. The owner
handed me a half bag of cheap cat food. I declined. The poor little
ferret appeared to be doing fine then just crashed one day. Also I
always quarantine any new ferrets. We have a guest house so it's
convenient. Also when I email the person I tell them of any ferret
shelters near them. People that see a ferret on craigslist, that don't
feel as though they can take another ferret, can tell an owner about a
shelter and actually most people say "I didn't know there were shelters
for ferrets!"

Now as far as a disaster is concerned, I live in a Tsunami Zone. No,
I didn't know it when I bought the house. We live on a dirt road in
the middle of the woods but past the woods is the ocean and in another
direction is a lake and then the ocean again. I used to think it was
nice to fall asleep and hear the pounding surf...oh well. I do have a
plan and lots of carriers, etc. Once when we were visiting someone in
town, the Tsunami alarm sounded. I was upset to say the least until
the "all clear" sounded. There had been a minor earthquake and someone
panicked....besides me! Anyone want to buy a house? No? Oh well....

Nancy on the scary Oregon coast heading back to change more bedding
because it's shedding time and because of the poor little "oldies"
that forgot where the litterbox is....daily bedding changes for those
sweeties!