Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 11:56:01 -0500
This is my first post. I would like torespond to Marc Jensens note
with some information.
There are only four ferret farms in this country. They cover specific
territories that they have worked out. They sell most of their ferret
through licensed brokers. There are many brokers listed in the PSM
(Pet Supply Magazine) 1993 issue. The only ferret farms are:
Holmes Chinchilla Ranch- located in Minn. Sell very few ferrets
Marshall Farms- sell neutered and descented ferrets
Path Valley Farms- same as above
Oak Ridge Whole sale Pets- located in Macon, MO and only sell within a
250 mile radius (trucked out only)
There are no breeding facilities here in Colorado. A few individuals
have attempted to breed ferrets and sell them, claiming them to be
neutered and descented. They were not!Our store doesn't buy ferrets
from individuals. We found out from our friends in Ferret Rescue that
the "breeders" ferrets were ending up in the rescue program because of
health, behavior, and scent problems. I watch the papers all the time.
I haven't seen kits available for about a year. I think that
assemblyman Jan Goldsmith is opposed. (I think that's how I'm reading
the Bulletin) I with that PIJAC would get involved with this
issue.They have more info on ferret within the Pet Industry than any
group.
Gail and the ZOO