From:
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:50:44 -0500
Thank you all for your kind wishes and love sent to these 29 ferrets.
Thank you also to many of you who have donated money or supplies towards
their care.  I'm overwhelmed at the kindness and love among ferret
people.  it never ceases to amaze me at just how wonderful you all are.

A wonderful, caring and TALENTED artist has donated a few of her prized
items for auction. Please see
http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZferretaidfundraising

Our caring veterinarian, Dr. Regan came into the shelter today to look
over all the new kids.  She volunteered her time and is only charging
us for the vaccines.  She said it was her Christmas present to us and to
the kids who had endured terrible suffering.

The good news is that most of the ferrets WILL make it and live on to
long and happy lives after a lot of TLC.  The bad news is that there are
4 ferrets that may not.  They may be too far gone, but we are all trying
our best.  The kids are getting sub-q fluids and i'll be goo'ing them
regularly through the day and night.

Right now, most of the kids are still only called by their numbers,
though many are slowly showing their personalities and being named.  The
4 kids we are worried about are #17, #27, #28 and #29.  I've named #'s
27, 28 & 29.  Fleur, Elvis and Sugar.  I'm leaving #17 for Paige to name,
I can see it in her face that #17 has pulled quite a few heart strings of
hers.  Elvis has mine.  He's so weak he can't walk right now, he just
lays in my arms, barely able to hold his little head up.

A couple of the kids are blind, probably due to the severe malnutrition
and dehydration.  This doesn't seem to hinder them and they will still
make great pets after a load of TLC.

As for the rest of the crew, we saw some REAL war dancing tonight.  There
were even a couple of "talkers" and some playing.  It brought tears to
our eyes knowing these were the first happy times these kids had ever
seen.  There is NOTHING more gratifying than seeing an abused animal
dance with a little joy in their hearts.

That my friends, is a little taste of heaven.

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>