From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 04:06:34 -0400
Oh, I just recall where I found out about the slang term but it's not hte
the most reliable of source, So, folks in Mexico (which turned out to be
novel -- arrrggghhhh) is "Chipe" (pronounced "cheap-ay" actually a term
for a warbler nad slang for spoiled brat?  Ah, fevers and the confusion
they can cause; hoping that i am getting past it now, though.

We've had some very smart ones who also were very clumsy.  Steve jokes
that the brain area can handle just so much, but I wonder if they are
just busy thinking so hard so much of the time that they lose track of
their bodies.

>>That is with 20 years of ferrets from an assortment of places.  Most from
>>anywhere make it to late in the 7th year into middle of the 8th year .

>No disagreement here.  I was ONLY addressing the point of the underage
>babies.

Then I don't understand why you got angry about my post on the longevity
aspect.  Very confusing.  Oh, well.  That's life, no biggie.  The only
thing I recall saying in relation to aging is that well known aspect that
food deprivation early on stunts growth and affects behavior and health so
that can confuse people therefore a more reliable method like dental aging
is essential before conclusions are drawn.  Think it's time to drop this
back-and-forth stuff.  It's not constructive.  (BTW.  in relation to the
person who posted yesterday about the tiny Path Valley ferrets with bad
runs, they could be very young or they might be suffering from nutritional
deprivation caused by their runs so the shop should contact the breeder
and should provide vet care.) The single best thing that has been done so
far in this regard is Alicia's approach of getting a state law barring
sale or transport of kits younger than 8 weeks, and then distributing
dental aging charts.  Yes, there will be some variability but this really
tackles the problem and is a brilliant solution worth copying in the rest
of the 49 states beyond New Hampshire.

>Of course, in general they're also less docile than the MF ferrets, but
>if you're only interested in longevity, you might want to contact him.

If you meant that "only interested" the way that it reads it is uncalled
for and you know well that it untrue.  Heck, I 'm the one getting no
sleep right now so why am I the one being civil? :-)  The triumverate of
health-longevity-temperament are what i care about as is well known and
documented.  Things like fancy colors and such are way down the line in
things I personally consider important.  Opinions may vary elsewhere; I
don't know and don't particularly care in this instance.

>>But Sandi, don't bash Sukie because you've had problems with MF.

>What an interesting conclusion.  Sukie claims that there are no ferrets
>under 6 weeks of age in pet stores and calls those of us who know that
>there, are liars (oh, oops, I guess that was Batman who said that).

A. I did NOT say that nor did I call anyone a liar
B. The Batman rumors stuff had to do with 3 false health rumors that were
flying around.  Didn't have squat to do with you or anything you said.
Read more carefully and don't assume, please.  Remember: my "thing" is
health issues and I hear and then check into those health rumors as i
also said yesterday.