From:
Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 19:16:28 -0500
Hello everyone,

Not to beat a dead horse, but I noticed that nobody mentioned the fact that
adoption charges are significantly LESS than the cost of BUYING a ferret.
(The person who originally asked the question, said what is the difference
between these adoptions and people who breed ferrets for sale.) Furthermore,
I have never heard of anyone who breeds ferrets losing thousands of dollars
a year which is the case of so many shelter rescue operations.

My feeling is that the shelters exist for the benefit of ferrets that are
already here - where as breeders intentionally breed NEW ferrets and exist
both for profit and hopefully to improve the quality of ferrets available.
Shelters "buy" ferrets that are either in horrible living conditions or are
coming from people who "have" to give them up but won't for do it for free
and can't find anyone to buy them (the fear here is that the ferret will
either be given to an unsuitable home in order to be sold quickly or be
otherwise "disposed" of).  Moreover, the shelters allow many people who are
not in a financial position to buy one or perhaps several ferret at $150 to
$400 apiece to still get one.  Now we all know that upkeep will wind up
costing far more, but the less you spend on the actual animal, the more you
have for perhaps a bigger cage, more toys, and vet visits.  I know of no
other source to get ferrets cheaply besides the shelters and dumb luck (you
know someone giving one away).

As far as people who "sell" their pets, nobody has really touched this
issue.  Let us not forget that pet owners, like shelters, may also have
spent quite a bit of money on vet bills (especially if their pets WERE truly
loved), food, toys, etc . . . and may have established quite an outstanding
debt.  If they then have to UNWILLINGLY give up their pet (perhaps because
of landlord difficulties, unhappy parents, moves, or allergies) is it really
so wrong for them to try and put a dent in some of those bills.  I must
point out that I have never seen anyone asking for what they paid for the
animal (cages, toys, etc..).  Not unlike the shelter it is usually
significantly less then what they paid.  And have never heard of anyone
considering the vaccination, spay/neuter, costs they incurred in determining
their price.  Furthermore, perhaps they still desire an animal companion
which their individual situation allows (apartments, parents, allergies, or
even states that allow cats or dogs as pets but not ferrets), but they have
already spent the money their financial situation allows on the ferrets.  If
they could recoup some of that money maybe they would be better able to
afford the initial purchase of another animal.  Again we all know that any
animal has high upkeep costs, but perhaps recouping some of their initial
outlay for the ferrets will allow them to better upkeep their new pet.

I would like to make it clear that I, personally, have never and would never
sell my girls - they are my family.  I don't wish to be flamed for this post
I am merely trying to show you another possible side of things.  There are
often reasons that people don't go into in a brief post as to why they have
to "sell" their pets.  It does not NECESSARILY mean that the pet was not
really loved by their owner.

     Happy New Year to Everyone.
     Love and dooks to all,
     Rebecca, Jitterbug and Monkey