Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:57:01 -0400
Hello everyone,

I don't think you're going to see the leadership of established
organizations whose views differ tremendously working together under one
national banner.  After all, I wonder why there are so many national humane
groups out there?  HSUS, SPCA, Dorris Day Animal League, American Humane
Society.... I'm not even sure trying to meld the various groups is a good
idea.

Strong individuals often mean strong personalities, but also usually means
strong commitments to the cause.  Each group that has really accomplished
something on the ferret front has its strengths and no doubt its weaknesses,
but absorption, melding, whatever, doesn't necessarily mean that the
problems go away or even improve.  You might even be left with less than
what you started with!

There are reasons to cooperate.  Each time LIFE, STAR, AFA or anyone has a
victory, it benefits everyone.  Each time local or state clubs effect change
in quarantine or legalization, its a plus that folks living in FF zones or
kill and test states can point to by way of example.

One significant joint effort by various groups led by Howard Davis of LIFE,
was the meetings with HSUS in Las Vegas last year.  Ferret supporters where
there from many organizations to express their dismay for HSUS
pronouncements and policy on ferrets and I can't tell you how important it
has been to the legalization efforts here to see HSUS off the list of
opposition.  We now have formal support from the California Animal Control
Director's Association and the Peninsula Humane Society and have no
opposition from humane groups.

Freddie Hoffman told me that when the AFA met with HSUS to express similar
concerns at an earlier meeting, they were not particularly well received so,
for whatever reason, time, space, or HSUS attitude, it benefitted the ferret
community to be invited by HSUS to meet at Expo, and to be represented by
new faces.

I also have some serious qualms, from personal experience, about overloaded
bureaucracies that some people seem to prefer.  It may look nice or
interesting on paper, but the heavier these things get, the slower they get.
My inclination is the more streamlined the better-- just look at our own
bloated state government.

People will follow and should support any new or existing organization they
feel best represents their interests.  If a new national organization
springs up because of the discussion of KODO and the FML, AND IT IS
EFFECTIVE, great!  I just don't think you're going to see any kind of
"assimilation" of the leaders of established organizations, and I personally
think that's fine.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!! IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE YOUR   SENATOR--THE FIRST
COMMITTEE VOTE WILL HAPPEN SOON!