From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:02:10 -0800
Hello FMLer's,

Someone forwarded me the post from Bonnie T. and I found it interesting
that the issue at the next FA RoundUP for her was personal, not
procedural. See her post below.

Because the Board of Directors of FA (and, for that matter, all of
the other state-wide ferret clubs in California) disagree with the
initiative process they are accused of "doing nothing". First of all
that simply isn't true. All of the clubs in California, including FA
San Diego, have worked very hard to try to legalize ferrets here. And
they are still working hard to educate and inform-- something with a
positive effect that might be hard to measure. In the future, they will
secure another author and there will be a successful ferret bill.

I also should point out that we did get a bill to the Governor's desk
which is, frankly, is quite a milestone considering the sheer volume of
legislation each year that dies one committee or another along the way.
It certainly isn't "nothing." Now, if it comes down to the initiative
(whose failure will close this clearly viable legislative option and
keep ferrets banned for quite some time) and nothing, I vote for
nothing! It may take time to get another author for a successful ferret
bil, it may take time for a proactive administration to change the law.
But neither of these branches of government will do a thing for ferrets
when the people of CA vote down a ferret initiative (that is even if it
were to qualify for the ballot).

Finally, I would encourage those in favor of the initiative to remember
that the recommendations against the initiative option didn't come off
the top of MY head but from all of the lobbyists who worked on this
issue. They know they process, the money involved and the negative
ramifications of failure.

So, Bonnie, much as you apparently want to change this into a Jeanne
Carley "I'm-right-and-Pat-Wright-is-wrong" diatribe, it just doesn't
work. First of all, I don't do diatribes. :) It's simply not my style
which is one of the reasons our issue did very well in committee, and
I was accused of being a lawyer or lobbyist by other professionals.
As most of you know, I"m a photographer-- but a diatribe-less one.
Secondly, these aren't my recommendations, they are the recommendations
from all of the professionals whose firms have been involved with both
legislation and initiatives, Bob Naylor for CFL, Kevin Pedrotti for
PIJAC and Mike Dillon for the CVMA.

In the twelve years I volunteered to testify on behalf of ferret owners
on this issue in committee hearing after committee hearing I never
substituted my judgment for theirs. That would be rather stupid don't
you think? But there's the rub isn't it. Some folks don't think but
rather react emotionally. How will you react when the initiative fails
and the legalization option is cut off????

Jeanne

--
Jeanne Carley's 2007 edition, Ferret Fun is here! To enjoy some amazing
ferret photography visit http://www.ferretcompany.com

NEW! Custom prints of Jeanne's terrific ferret photos! Is there a
ferret picture that you've always loved? You can now order your
favorite ferret photo by Jeanne Carley. Click on Collections to choose.