From:
Rebecca Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:29:47 EDT
I saw the story on Slashdot, being the multi-geek wench that I am, and
just had to chime in there....

"This is going to be waaaay too late to be noticed, I'm sure, but I've
gotta chime in.  Why in the hell would the BSA pick a *ferret* (not a
weasel, although that might be more appropriate) as their new mascot?

Anyone who has ever spent any time around ferrets (such as myself as a
long-time ferret-mom) knows that ferrets are the *last* creatures on
Earth who would make good representatives for an IP watchdog group.  The
subspecies designation of their scientific name, Mustela putorius furo,
comes from the Latin furonem, meaning "thief".  And they are fuzzy little
thieves: shoes, socks (bonus points if you manage to steal it off of a
human's foot!), toys, CD jewel cases, loaves of bread, wallets, car keys,
("Quick, while Mom's not lookin' - shopping spree at PetCo!"), jewelry -
if it's not nailed down, they'll make off with it, chuckling the whole
time.

In short: ferret (n.), a free-spirited, furry little animal with a
joyous disregard for individual property rights.  Not exactly the best
ambassador for the Software Goon Squad.

What the heck were they smoki- (line through) drinki- (scribbled out)
thinking?"

~Becca, the Geek Wench: causing mayhem among the (mostly male) nerd
population at the Web's foremost tech (and other geeky pursuits)
newsblog...