From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 01:37:25 MST
Hi folks, I would like some imput or your thoughts here.  I went to check
out the new *petstore.com*... not intending at all to actually buy anything
but rather to see what they were offering the general public for ferret
supplies.  Sure enough, I ran across an item that really bothers me but I
have no real knowledge of... so I am picking your collective brains.

The item is:
"Pets International Cedar Cage Freshener, 100% cedar - As much as you love
your ferret, she can get quite 'aromatic' at times.  This all-natural,
100% cedar cage freshener will help manage the potent aromas of your furry
friend.  Just hang it in her cage and notice how the natural oils in the
red cedar wood release a pleasant odor that naturally deodorizes."

You can view the page at:
http://www.petstore.com/shop/sku.jhtml?CATID=947&PRODID=1004203&SKUID=4203

The item itself looks like the air fresheners you hang from a rear view
window in your car, and is quite cute and *toylike* in appearance.

What concerns me is this: First off, hanging this in a ferrets cage seems
like you are just begging your fuzzy to chew on it... thereby creating a
very possible blockage (or splinter?) problem.

Secondly, we hear so much about how the aromas/oils in cedar are bad for
ferrets, and this thing is extra saturated with them.

Third, it hangs in the cage by a string. 'Nuff said.

Is it possible this item could actually be dangerous for our ferrets?

Susan