Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:28:12 -0700
>At the symposium in Atlanta, I believe Dr. Kemmerer said that a lot
>of the heartworm positive ferrets she sees have NEVER been outdoors.
>So keeping your ferrets indoors is not necessarily a good method of
>prevention if you're in an area that has heartworm and mosquitos, which
>is just about everywhere.
>
>For the ferrets,
>Mike

I have to say I totally agree with what Mike wrote.  My ferrets were
always indoor guys.  Well, mosquitos sometimes sneak into the house (as
much as we try to always keep doors closed), and I found a mosquito
buzzing around the ferrets cage.  Of course I immediately squished it,
and it was full of blood.  I panicked - one of the ferrets blood??  Who
knows?  Very well possibly couldve been.  My guys are all on heartworm
preventative now.  Keeping them inside, yes it lowers the chance of them
getting heartworm if they are NOT on preventative, but its not a
fool-proof case.

Andrea