Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:45:57 -0400
With regards to the issues of ferret "attacks" you know the term **really**
bothers me.  Think about it... if a ferret nips children they are accused
of attacking.  Early on at the shelter we started educating folks with
children -- if the ferret is going to play with adults & children -- do not
play any rougher with the ferret ( to adults) than you want it to play with
the children.  Why?  Quite simple-- ferrets must learn acceptable play
behaviors (training)-- if they respond in play to one or two individuals
with a rougher play demeanor and are not reprimanded at an early age, then
they accept that it is okay to play with <bold>all</bold> folks the same.

We CANNOT expect a small creature to be able to distinguish an infant from
an adult.  They certainly are capable of learning -- however to expect them
to rationalize is very presumptuous of humans.  Generally a ferret may well
go to a child as to an adult and grab hold with teeth-- not to bite but to
invite playing.  How many times do ferrets do this by grabbing fingers and
trying to pull them under the couch?  or grabbing tops of feet, socks, toes
to get attention?  These are not attacks, so why do we accept that if the
ferret does this to a child it is an attack???  Beats me.

As ferret folks we need to establish and understand the entire set of
circumstances for each individual incident.  Many attacks I hear about are
from ferrets who wanted to play with a child / infant and humans did not
properly supervise.  Like the ferrets who always had mommy to play with and
infant was held in a moms lap- the ferret stands on rear legs and decides--
"Hey, mom has a new toy I think I will steal it", where it then takes hold
of an infant's leg ( arm, etc.) -- this was an actual rescued ferret at our
shelter years ago-- who was lucky enough to get a chance to have a new home.

Of course the ferret is just an animal, in the big world they don't count
for much (not that I agree).  It is far easier to blame an animal and take
it's life than to shoulder responsibilities.  This all being said, I urge
everyone, before a ferret is again accused of attacking a child you know --
make sure that it is taught respective play techniques that allow it to
play safely with children.  If it is okay to nip in adult play times --
that ferret is not a good candidate for interaction with youngsters.

Just my .02 on the mis- informed attacked issues of ferrets.....

alicia

for then many faces at Ferret Wise

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html

our web catalog page at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/funalia.html

and at

Where Ferret Wise will receive $2.00 for every new person who signs on,
and its totally free ( just takes a few minutes of your time) to help.

Thank you from all the ferrets.