From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:22:11 -0800
Just a note to the individual who wanted to know about how to get a Ferret
to CA.  I know from personal experience that I did not get any response
from any breeder or organization who realized I had a CA e-mail address or
phone number.  Most were downright rude.  I cannot condemn that, only note
that I spent considerable time researching and debating with my family
about us breaking the law to obtain pets that we wanted.  The desire of our
12 year old who watched many animal programs from out of state and fell in
love with ferrets, kept me asking questions and reading and debating to see
if indeed we could make it work.  I found a vet a mile from me by locating
him on the web, he told me he has an extensive ferret practice.  The last
time we were in, they had seen seven ferrets that morning alone. The
obvious was breaking the law, period, but the more we read the more we all
wanted to have one then two (ferret math at work).  I did just what the
other person did, ordered them from a breeder and drove to Reno and picked
them up.  No one but us and the vet and our pet sitters are allowed to
handle them .  When my sons friends come over, the ferrets stay in their
cage.  (which is very large).  We still run some risk of problems, but we
all know the consequences and try to be very protective of our fuzzies.  I
am hoping that California will make them legal soon, I realize that may not
happen and we are taking a chance, but we sure love our ferrets, they are
the greatest!!!

[PN]