From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 07:04:45 EDT
I called and faxed all three numbers yesterday in the effort to get the
ferrets saved.  When I called the Health Commission, I was able to speak
with one of the doctors there.  I asked if the ferrets had been saved yet,
and I was told that, "They are on their way to the lab for testing now."
(I'm not sure what she meant by that, since it's since been stated that they
were actually at a vet's office).

Anyway, when I received that info., I asked if there was anything that could
be done to save the ferrets.  Her reply was that there was nothing that
could be done to save these ferrets, but that in the future, we could save
ferrets by making contributions to the testing which is currently being done
by the Center for Disease Control on rabies shedding.  She said that the
ferrets used in the study were donated by Marshall Farms, but that the study
is very short of money, and contributions would allow it to progress much
faster.  I don't understand all of what she told me, but basically I think
she said that the test could prove that ferrets cannot transmit rabies to
humans (which would prevent further killing of ferrets in bite cases), and
that preliminary indications from the study look positive (meaning that
ferrets cannot transmit rabies).  She gave me the name and telephone number
of the doctor in charge of the rabies shedding study in ferrets at the CDC.
I intend to call him today to find out more about this test and how we can
help.  I'd be happy to pass on the name and number to anyone else who is
interested, also.

BTW, this doctor also told me that she had spoken personally with the
shelter operator who had the ferrets, and that she was mad at him for
continuing to hand ferrets to the man who was bitten after he (the shelter
operator) knew that the ferrets had bitten.  She said that by doing so, he
effectively signed a death warrant for those animals, and that he should
have stopped as soon as the customer was bitten and quarantined the animal
in question.  Hmmmmm ....

Just thought I'd pass on this information.  I'll call the CDC today, and
post any relevant info.  I find out about the ferret rabies shedding study
to the FML.

- Ela