From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:48:59 -0600
Several years ago I went to what we called "Fat Camp", a couple of
weeks on a small college campus where Weight Watchers kept us busy and
fed us judiciously. The first week there I fell down roller skating and
broke both wrists. Not only was it difficult to eat with casts on both
forearms, we never knew how much weight, if any, I lost because they
weighed a ton. Additional ironly here was that I was, that semester,
teaching nursing students about orthopedic care, e.g. never get sand
in the cast, never stick anything under it, use moleskin around the
edges, use a turkey baster to blow air into it if it itches, etc.

I complained bitterly to a physician about the inconvenience, how dirty
the things were, how I couldn't bathe without fear of getting them wet,
and so on. He smiled out of the corner of his mouth and said, "In other
words it's a Really Good Cast!"  Shut me right up.

Bobbi McC
KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter