From:
"Rudich, Robert A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:30:00 EST
>and he's so outrageously muscular that he can't fold up into some
>of the typical ferret "curl-in-a-ball" positions or the classic "fold the
>chest over the belly" position.  He actually looks fat, until you pick him
>up and try and control his squirming and realize FAST there ain't an ounce
>of fat on him whatsoever.  He's friendly, but not big on cuddling.

Fat deposits 2 ways - sub Q and intramuscular.  The latter is not readily
detectable by feel.  Large muscles and fat both can limit joint
mobility/flexibility.  Large muscle mass requires resistance exercise to
develop.  Most ferrets get endurance type exercise which causes toned lean
muscle mass (e.g., a runner).  If your ferret looks fat, lacks flexibility,
and is not pumping iron, I'd bet intramuscular fat is a distinct
possibility.  We have two very strong male ferrets that weigh about the same
but differ noticeably in size.  One is lean and the other is less dense and
must have intramuscular fat.  (Muscle is denser than fat.)

>I'm also paying attention to photoperiods based on Mo'Bob's recommendations
>and theories.  Not that I'm dead certain he's right; it makes sense and I'll
>do damn near anything not to have to deal with adren al again.

Careful, Jim.  You are straying close to superstitious behavior.  As with
the other postulated causes of adrenal disease, there is no evidence that
photoperiod is at fault.  I'm a research psychologist (not an actor playing
one on TV) who has experience in photoperiod effects in humans.  The light
levels required to cause an effect are well above normal house ambient
lighting.  There is a threshold value that must be exceeded.  If not, the
lunar illumination cycle would play havoc with the durennial progression
(jargon terms for Mo Bob's benefit - he says they're required for
credibility).

Nobody (including the estimable Mo Bob) has proposed a specific mechanism to
explain a relationship in the lack of data.  For example, by this I mean
that the change in day length cases the pineal gland (usual master gland in
this situation) to secrete hormone X which acts on gland Y to cause Z, etc.

The only thing offered is a general description of seasonal effects and not
why a usually unaffected gland suddenly becomes involved.  The adrenal is
not a primary sex gland and I see no clear mechanism to involve it in the
light related seasonal sexual hormone level changes (for which there is a
specific mechanism).  Interestingly, Dr. Judi Bell (ex MF vet) has suggested
an interaction between early neuter and photoperiod with a vague mechanism
rationale of the detail level Mo Bob gave.  The problem I see is that this
*might* explain the ferrets sold (and therefore not observed by Dr. Bell),
but not the whole ferrets in manipulated lighting that Dr. Bell did observe
where she did not note a problem.  (I could have said "see" but "observe" is
more technical to add that subliminal credibility.)

I can identify with your desire to avoid adrenal problems.  Let's say your
ferrets don't get adrenal disease and you avoid natural photoperiod
disruption.  What have you shown?  In just shy of 10 years we've owned 13
ferrets and had only 1 with adrenal and all with unregulated photoperiod
exposure.  With this small sample, chance could explain the lack even if
photoperiod is a cause.  The same goes for the reverse conclusion.  I don't
believe that photoperiod is a cause, but have no evidence.  I'm not aware of
anybody that has buried a potato with the full moon shining over their left
shoulder having adrenal problems either.  This is how superstitions start
and the reason for my warning.  We have too much superstitious thinking on
the FML already.  (Try the potato anyway - it may work.) If you want to go
to the hassle of controlling light, go ahead, but be careful about any
effects you attribute beyond the proven sexual ones.  You may be right, but
you may be wrong too and still get the desired result.

>Also, if an experienced fert-person in the SF Bay Area wants to meet Hairy
>Crumb the body-builder and confirm what I'm seeing, I'd love it.  When I
>finished his babyhood shot series, he wasn't up to this level yet - it's
>unreal, and I've seen a fair number of other adult ferrets - this dude is
>abnormal, in a good way!

I wish I could see Harry and show you Springer and Smokey mentioned above.
We could talk motorcycles too.  However, given the legal situation, I don't
know how wise it would be to take up a stranger on this offer.  You can do
what you like (you seem assertive).  But the risk to your ferrets is much
greater than from lamp light at night.  The experience may be in seizing
ferrets.  This is the problem people have in risk assessment.  You worry
about adrenal disease and ignore seizure because of the difference in
perceived situational control by you.  Statistical risk is not intuitive or
like daily experience.  It's like the joke about the guy who always takes a
bomb on a plane because the chance of 2 bombs on board is astronomical.

Statisticians are just as funny as zoopalentologists.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \