From:
"~*Jules*~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:04:24 -0400
Part Six:
Recap: Discovering and exploring a tunnel under the bed, Tweak and
Riordan find themselves caught in a series of events leading them on a
grand adventure with the destination of China.  After a long hike with
their Guide Nid, they finally come upon some other travelers.  Rio finds
a playmate in one of those travelers and their journey becomes much more
interesting.  It's filled with stories of far off lands and pranks from
Rio and his new friend Sam.  Finally the group reaches the Wurm Express.
Station Number Twenty-seven to be exact, and what they see is amazing.
We reenter right after they walked into the station.

A line of shops and hotels (much bigger than the unmanned re-supply
stations along the tunnel) filled one side of the cave like station.
Critters of every shape and size bustled back and forth between the
ticket booths, platforms, hotels, and shops.  Tweak saw a mother rabbit
counter her children while standing next to a large orange tabby cat,
whom was wearing a bowler hat and a monocle on one platform and a preying
mantis chatting with a butterfly on another.

"How do they keep the peace around here?" she questioned still amazed.

"Well, there are strict rules here and in all the tunnels.  You're not
allowed to eat anyone else, all food must be pre-prepared and either
bought or carried.  If you'll look over by that lamp post over there, do
you see the Tasmanian devil dressed in dark red?" Nid pointed across a
few platforms.

"Yes"

"He's part of station security.  Australian freelance agent I think.
If you ever get lost or need help, just find one of those guards in red
with a conductor's hat and he'll help you out.  They're not always as
intimidating as they look, only when the need calls for it.  So don't be
scared of them.  You could also find one of the Tunnel Mice, they'll help
you too, but they're often hard to come across."

"Wow" Tweak whispered. "Just, wow"

Riordan, Sam, and Frank were all talking to Kipling.  They were
discussing the rules and the best places to eat.  Tweak and Nid joined
their conversation and soon they had all settled on where to stay for the
night.  They were going to stay at Bugly Bug's Tavern.  It was the best
eatin' in town and it had decent rooms too.  As they walked over to the
Tavern, Rio, Sam, Tweak, and Frank's heads were turning every which way
trying to see everything at once.  The scenery was amazing.  There were
shops that sold anything and everything, from beetle eye necklaces
(artificially raised) to Tunnel Gem souvenirs to Coon Skin Caps (from
Coons who've signed donor cards.)  Exotic scents wafted on the air.
Incense and new foods all mingled together, at one point it got so strong
that it made Riordan and Tweak sneeze.  When they reached the Tavern the
opossums and ferrets were pleasantly surprised to find that the tavern
was not dark and smoking like some of the others they had seen.  In fact
the place smelled subtly sweet, a sort of fruity floral smell.

"Greetings and Welcome to Bugly Bug's Tavern" said an interesting sort of
critter.  You couldn't quite tell what sort of insect it was.  It almost
looked like a cross between a spider, a moth, a caterpillar, and a
beetle.  "I'm Bugly Bug and it is my pleasure that I should be your
server this evening!"

The food they had was wonderful and Bugly Bug (who had heard of Nid's
coming and had desired to meet him, hence him being their server) was
warm and friendly despite his odd appearance.  A charming Luna moth
provided live music in the background as Bugly explained that his
appearance was due to the fact that his mother was a Tiger Moth and
Swallow Tail butterfly cross and his father was the offspring of a
tarantula who fell in love with a scarab beetle.  Since he was not one
certain type of insect, he was simply a bug and that was that.  The
conversation flowed and the hour grew late.  With good food in their
bellies and good music in their ears everybody was getting drowsy.  With
the promise of warm, soft beds the desire for a good nights sleep finally
overcame the desire to watch the goings on of the tavern.  Tweak headed
off to a room all her own, while Kip and Nid shared a suit next to hers,
Frank, Sam and Rio shared a third room.  The beds were as warm and soft
as promised, and Tweak was thoroughly grateful to have a room to herself.
She indulged in a bubble bath before slipping into bed.  Then, in the
safety of her room (with no boys to steal them) she slipped her beloved
Warty and Fish out from a safe spot in the bottom of her pack.  After a
good chomp on both, she placed them gently on the pillow next to her and
drifted off to sleep without hearing the excited yips of the boys as they
jumped on their beds and had a pillow fight before falling asleep
themselves, exhausted from another exciting day.

The next day was very busy indeed.  Everybody was running back and forth
buying Express Tickets, packing supplies, rechecking release times, and
everything else.  On top of all their other errands, Nid and Kip were
filling out papers and talking to the Guard Company about Nid's new post.
Finally the time came to head to platform 8 1/2 to board Express 71.
When they saw their first wurm, they were reminded of a pill bug with no
legs.  Behind the worm were train like carts attached by a special
harness.

"Hello there," said the friendly sounding worm to its passengers who were
lined up on the plat form.  "I'm Charlie.  I'll be taking you to China
over the next 8 days.  It's almost timed to head out, so I'll let you say
all of your goodbyes before I tell you about how the journey will go."

"Good-bye, Nid, thank you so very much for being our guide," Tweak said
with a sniff.  "I'll miss you so much.  I'll send you lots of post
cards!"

Nid bowed deeply.  "Fair thee well My Lady, My Lad" he said to the both
of them.  Then with a tear in 6 out of 8 of his eyes, he pulled both of
the fuzzies into a very awkward hug.  Which is understandable when you're
trying to hug an 8-legged spider.

Kipling was saying goodbye to Frank and Sam, and then they switched.
Finally, the bittersweet and tearful farewells were over with and Frank,
Sam, Rio, and Tweak were boarding Charlie's Express Carts.  Seven pairs
of legs (and one reptilian tail) waved goodbye to each other as the
Express pulled away from the platform, and then with a burst of speed
they were off, listening to Charlie's pleasant voice explain the rules
and regulations for the trip!

What awaits Rio and Tweak on the final leg of their journey?  Will the
Wurm Express make it to China?  What awaits them across the border?

       Join us tomorrow for the conclusion of
Riordan & Tweak In: Under The Bed (Digging to China)