From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:14:48 -0700
I would like to comment on the issue of Pet Store Purchasing.  As an
acquaintance to a former 20 yr. pet store owner, here are some issues we
discussed at length regarding pet store animal sales.

When my friend (Bob) opened his pet store back in the late 70's he sold
every animal imaginable.  At the time there were more pets that were legal
in CA than there are now.  As the years past Bob saw these *exotic pets*
become illegal to possess without a proper permit (this includes ferrets).
Slowly the only animals that he was able to sell were the ones we see now
a days (dogs, cats, birds, rodents, etc...)  Now here is the point I would
like to make.  As regulations and health requirements were placed upon the
pet store owners who sold puppies and kittens became extremely stringent,
slowly the pet stores stopped selling puppies and kittens.  If you go into
most pet stores in CA (at least in my area SF bay area), you will not find
puppies and kittens for sale.  It has been so long since I've stepped into
a pet store that sold P/K's I can't even remember the last time.  What you
will see is the rescue groups doing adoptions on the weekends.

What I found out from talking to Bob is that it became more of a burden
to sell P/K's due to the regulations than it was profitable.  Bob was
required to take the animal to a vet upon arrival for a health inspection
and than isolate the animal for a couple days after to make sure it was
healthy.  He was required to take the temperature of each animal 2x a day.
Fresh water/food and clean facilities were mandated.  Ventilation and
exercise was also a daily requirement.  All this information had to be
kept in a journal for animal control inspection if required.  If any one
complained about the conditions of the store, no matter how small or
large, animal control came out and inspected his facility and he was
written up to make improvements.  But the real kicker was that Bob was
liable for the health of that puppy/kitten for ONE WHOLE YEAR after he
sold it.  This meant that if the owner did not want the animal for any
reason, they were [by law] allowed to return the animal for a full refund.

Because of the cumbersome responsibilities, Bob stopped selling P/K's.
Now if we could change the regulations and requirements for ferrets,
maybe pet stores will stop selling them due to the overburdening
responsibilities and the only places you will be able to acquire one is
thru a shelter, breeder or personal relinquishment.

Just another spin and outlook on the whole issue.

Tanya