Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:59:41 -0400
Hello everyone,

I've been to the vet now and he seems at a loss to explain what I'm
seeing, so I thought I would bounce it out here. My DEW Valentine has,
in the past two months or so, developed a recurring darkish mange
around his mouth and nose. It almost looks like he's been digging in
a potted plant with his nose -- except that we don't keep plants in
the house anymore. I wipe it away from his lips, mouth and nose twice
daily, but it keeps coming back. He's never had this before now and I
don't know whether the mange bothers him a lot, but I can't figure why
he's developed it. Valentine's old (7.5), and dealing with numerous
health issues (adrenal, insulinoma, cardiomyopathy, prolapsed rectum),
so I supposed it could be a reaction to one of his numerous medicines.
But I've seen this stuff spread since it first appeared under his chin.
This makes me suspect it could be some sort of skin infection, because
the brownish-orange mange "migrated" to his anus and his front paws --
both of which come into contact with his mouth when he grooms himself
or when he paws at his mouth (pepto bismol). The vet doesn't know what
it is, but he thinks it isn't an infection; he's been wrong before,
though.

If anyone out there has a theory, I'd be interested to hear it and
bring it to my vet.

toodles,
John