From:
Katrina Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:22:38 +0000
Hi Guys,

It's been a wild week.  My 7 year old ferret died a week ago (her necropsy
showed that she had pretty severe hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (where the
heart muscle is so thick there isn't much room inside for the blood).  I
was worried about one of my other ferrets - Rocky, who has been tired
during and after playing.  He had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the
heart) done on Friday, and he has dilative cardiomyopathy (DCM), which is
where the heart wall is so thin that it can't contract properly or
effectively pump blood into the rest ot the body.  I know that sometimes
you can reverse DCM in cats with taurine supplementation (even when they
already have taurine in their cat food).  Has anyone had any luck with
taurine (or anything else) in a ferret with DCM?  Thanks.

Katrina Ramsell