From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:24:08 -0600
>From:    TSN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 1st Ferret to have chemotherapy for Insulinoma
>
>This is my 1st time writing here.My ferret Buster is going to have his
>1st chemotherapy treatment Tuesday.PLEASE pray for him.He's had 10
>seizures in the last week & is @ least 8+ years old.He had surgery a year
>ago to remove the tumor.However, as we know it comes back.He had maybe 5
>good months before his blood glucose was back in the 50's and since then
>as low as in the30's.We made the decision that "enough was enough" last
>week after my poor baby had gone through so many seizures.The last one
>happened 11/2 hours after the previous seizure.I called my doctor to let
>them know "it was his time".They informed of a new chemotherapy treatment
>for insulinomas that so far has only been used on dogs & not ferrets.
>However they wanted to try this with my ferret.I should also mention that
>Buster appears to be otherwise healthy.His energy is of course low but
>otherwise gets around ( even goes up & down the staircase) for an old
>guy.He's a real trooper however want as much support possible for him.
>PLEASE PRAY FOR BUSTER.
>
> Sondra Pulford

My prayers go out for Buster.  I was wondering if you could tell us what
protocol of chemo is being used on Buster.  I have read a protocol worked
out by Dr. Dutton using doxorubicin and was wondering if Buster is getting
the same treatment.  My oldest ferret, Booger, is 4.5 yrs old and had
surgery for insulinoma back in Nov.  He recovered well and is doing much
better, but I expect it to recur sooner or later.  Dr. Dutton said that
he had a ferret that he used his protocol on who was still doing well 1.5
yrs after the treatment.  Our vet says he has doxorubicin and could follow
Dr. Dutton's protocol if it becomes necessary.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if you've ever written Richard Petty's name on a ballot.