From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:01:11 -0600
Hello All,

Yep, it is me again.  Wanted to wish everyone a hopeful, peaceful, and
happy 1999.  I have met a wide variety of folks through the fml and in many
ways, it has been an extended family for me.  I have met some of the very
best folks I have ever met through this list, and unfortunately, some of
the worse.  I have gotten a lot of flak behind the scenes, and it has
caused me a lot of heartache and grief.  It doesn't seem to stop regardless
of what I do and I have allowed it to take a lot away from me personally.
And one of the things is the goodness that can come from folks on this
list.

I wanted to say thanks for all those folks that have, over the last three
years, took the time to write me and say how much they enjoy my wicked and
rather warped sense of humor.  Even if some of those letters are a one time
affair, they have meant a lot to me during a very turbulent time in my
life.  They have brought me a lot of joy and happiness from knowing that I
a have gift for bringing a smile.  And that, with my love of ferrets, has
been the driving force behind my posts, and to setting up the Mob list.
Some may say it is my ego and I have always laughed at this, since that is
foreign to the way I think.  I love people, I love doing for others, and
the knowledge that I can make folks smile or laugh, or touch their hearts
in other ways has been such a gift for me.  Because it is from all my
wonderful new friends, and from all the strangers that I have realized
something special about myself.  Something I never thought was special.

So you folks have given me some of the greatest gifts of all.  And yes, for
one special person out there, I guess that gold is peeking through the
brass a little.

What brought this on, to spur me to such maudlin heights is a visit from my
big Sis.  Well, we may not look much alike and it may sound strange that an
only child has a big sis, but I do.  And I found her through the fml and
her wonderful wisdom, and kind words really touch home.  Even if I had to
count my ferrets and make sure she didn't try to take the fat boys back to
Seattle with her.  Suzy, I hope your trip home was wonderful and next time
come when we don't have blizzards and you can see so much more of Columbia.

I also want to let everyone know about my other wonderful friends on this
list.  I have never in my life had so many girlfriends, I have always found
it difficult.  But one childhood sis is on this list, someone I have known
for (mumble mumble years) Miss Terri.  Who is mother to my demon godchild.
And Miss Noni, who was gracious enough to take over the Houston Area Ferret
Association that I started, when I made a heartwrenching decision to move
to Missouri.  Who sticks up for me when right, and tells me when I am
wrong.  And Miss Catherine, who has listened to me babble on and on about
that heartache and has been there for me everytime I needed her.  Of
course, I will steal Luis' beautiful hair one of these days Cath.  And to
Miss Georgia, who does lots of work in the ferret world behind the scenes,
babies her ferrets beyond belief and can always, always make me laugh at
her wit.  Besides, I can help but love anyone who is brave enough to have
her pic taken in Groucho glasses.

I have been gifted with a lot of other wonderful friends through this list,
and even in my solitude lately, am still making more.  So for those who
are new to this list, and even those who are not, don't let the on list
bickering and the nasty behind the scenes stuff get to you like I have let
it bother me.  Unfortunately, the nasty very very minority is by far the
most vocal.  But ignore that, be patient, and the gems will surface.  And
trust me, they are worth the wait.

And in general, folks, try to be nice in HOW you say things.  You may have
good points to make, but by delivering them in an antagonistic fashion all
you do is alienate folks and make enemies.  That is not what we are here
for.  We are not here to cultivate fan clubs, to make factions, or to beat
down others.  We are hear to help the ferrets and it cannot be done in a
hostile environment.

OK, Mother Margaret is done.  Don't mean to sound preachy.  And lord knows
I have a big mouth.  So I include myself in the above.

For those who may be wondering, a miracle did occur in my life.  I actually
made a B- in my algebra class, good enough for me to tutor at the school.
Ain't that a hoot!!

Maggie Mae in Mid Mo' with her Musty Mustelid Mob

"Freedom comes when you learn to let go,
Creation comes when you learn to say no."
The Power of Goodbye, Madonna