From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:02:04 -0700
MC <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I like Mazuri and it has been 1 of my main feeds for years.  There have
>been some detractors (About Mazuri) here on the FML in the past, making
>statements that can't or haven't been be substantiated.  Food makes for
>an easy scapegoat!

FACTS:
Mazuri is what is called a "least cost" formula.  Least cost means that
the product is made with whatever ingredients will cost the least to
produce the guaranteed analysis.  This guaranteed analysis and the exact
composition of the product is identified by a tag that is sewn onto the
pull string of the bag.  By attaching the label in this manner, the label
can be easily changed as the composition of the food changes.  One batch
may be different from the next.

Least cost formulation is different than fixed formula brands.  Fixed
formulas are those foods that always use exactly the same ingredients
from batch to batch until such time as they change the label that is on
the package (that's how it is supposed to work).

My former vet was the first person to tell me about the concept of least
cost vs.  fixed formula.  I bought a bag of Mazuri and took it to him for
approval.  He told me that with least cost foods, one batch of food may be
made with chicken meal and will be perfectly acceptable.  The next batch
may be made of herring meal, stink like the dickens, and be rejected (as
his experience found).  He did not recommend any least cost food.

After hearing this, I called the manufacturer myself.  I asked them point
blank: "Is Mazuri Ferret Food a least cost food?" Their answer: YES.  I
then asked them if this meant that the food could vary from one batch to
another as the ingredients were varied to produce a least cost formula.
Their answer: YES.

Food goes a long way in determining the health of your animal, therefore
choose a food that is supported by your vet.  When you ask your vet to
endorese a food, it should also fall within the guidelines that your own
research dictate.
End of FACTS.

My conclusion:
Given my vet's recommendation and my research, I have chosen to use only
fixed formula foods.  I've also chosen to use only foods that don't tend
to get stuck in the roof of the mouth.  In addition, I have chosen to only
use fixed formula foods processed without ethoxyquin (as much as possible
although it can unfortunately still be added during the rendering stage
and not appear on the label).  Many vets and researchers will say that
ethoxyquin is either perfectly safe or no harmful effects have been
*proven*.  I just try to play it safe and avoid the stuff since it really
is unnecessary as a preservative.

-Carla (not the shelter mom)