From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:25:33 -0800
I have never read the item that Carla mentions, but I thought this would be
great fun!

I really like the broom explanation.  Very fitting.  I always figured it
was just because they know you're trying to clean up their space and they
like it the way it is.  So they're going to foil your attempts to get those
evil dust bunnies.

>Does anyone "know" why some ferrets snorkel

Because their bellies itch and it's the easiest way to get a good scratch.

>Why some shriek at the sight of water that isn't in a bottle?

Because water in a bottle is for drinking, which is good, and water not in
a bottle is for bathing, which is bad.

>Why they collect certain items but not others?

OK, here comes the (boring) animal behaviorist... Some types of animals
just tend to have preferences.  If anyone has ever watched bower birds,
you'll see that some like to decorate their nesting area with blue things,
some like red, some like silver and shiny.  They just like to be surrounded
by pretty things, and each one has a different definition of pretty.
Either that or the ferrets can read your mind and only want to collect
those specific things which you absolutely need before you can walk out
the door.

>Why they develop certain rituals

Because change is bad.  Change means that ferret math is going to strike.
Change means that bath time is approaching.  Change means that mommie ran
out of FerretVite.

>Why the corner *behind* the litterpan is better than the corner *in* the
>litterpan?

Well, this one is easy.  The ferrets get tired of having to go potty out in
the open where everyone is staring.  So they provide themselves with a bit
of privacy by shuffling behind the litterbox.

>Any "idea" why ferret owners tend to be a bit.... um, crazy?

Crazy?!  I'm not crazy?!  Where's my hammock, I need a nap!

>Why the ferrets can make a mess and we say, "Awww, cute!" but if the kids
>make a mess we yell?

Because kids are evil.  (No offense to anyone who has any of these
devil-spawn :-) ) Not like the ferrets would pay attention to you anyway
if you did yell.  They would just laugh and war dance to another part of
the house where they can't hear you and you can't reach them.

>Why we "have to" go out in bad weather to get something for the ferrets
>but never seem to have that urgency when the weather is nice?

There is an unknown, unpublished clause in the book of ferret-ownership
that says "He who wants ferret is in for much trouble."

Here's some of mine:
Why do some ferrets insist on drinking from their water bottles *through*
the sweatshirt they are sleeping in?  ...

Because they've heard mommie talk about gee-ar-dee-uh and how filtering
the water makes it safer.

Why do they stop war dancing directly in your path when you are carrying a
plate of spagetti?  ...

Because they are going to hide the fallen noodles under the dresser where
they will use them to make a ladder to climb up the cabinets where the
FerretVite and FerretTone is "hidden."

If they don't like water that's not in a bottle, why do they knock over
every glass to investgate the liquid contents?  ...

Because they are concerned about your health and want to make sure that
there is no evil poison somehow dissolved in your Coke.

If the bubbles in the Coke make them sneeze, why do they continue to try to
drink it?  ...

Because, dude, it, like, gives 'em a buzz, man.

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus one Herdling
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Sandy, & Rootie the beagle
Missing Gizmo so much. We love you, baby.

"And when they sing wind-songs, they whisper to us, don't miss me too much.
The view is nice and I'm doing just fine." - Ashley