From:
peggy zulauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 15:33:24 -0800
Hello good ferret People:
I have an urgent request for information from anyone with senior insulinomic
and adrenal ferrets.  I will be posting the adrenal/insul.  list as well,
sorry for the duplication but I am desperate for answers.  I've used the FML
for about a year or so and hope in getting some answers, that I too can help
others through my experience.

Mukmuk: seven year old, neutered male.

Surgery: July 97, has cancerous pancreatic lesions removed.
         -prognosis, maybe has a couple months to live.

Medication: 2mg prednisolone daily, since July.
            .2 cc Proglycem (diazoxied) twice daily, since Feb. 98

Bloodwork results:
  (the first levels are medicinally untreated)
  June 19, 1997
  Glucose: 1.5 mmol/L divided by .055 = 27.3 mg/dl.
  Insulin: 109.0 ulU/ml

  (these levels are aided by meds.)
  Feb, 12, 1998
  Glucose: 5.3 mmol/L divided by .055 = 96.4 mg/dl.
  Insulin: 112.0 ulU/ml

Another insulin test will be run this Friday Mar.13 and I hope to have the
results the following Monday.  I'm hoping the proglycem has an effect on the
insulin levels.

The Problem:
For three weeks Mukmuk has been urinating three to four times in small
amounts in the same session.  No pain, straining, or smelly urine, but not a
normal pattern for him.  He's definitely showing signs of adrenal disease as
well.  I know excessive urine output is one sign and I know the others, I've
had 5 adrenal guys and gals..

The Question:
I have read some horror stories of ferrets plugging up and dying.  They spot
for a couple months and without signs, die.  My vet who's performed some
amazing surgeries over the past 7 years is reluctant to perform adrenal
surgery which I read would help the adrenal problem (hoping it's the left)
and he could also clean up the (I suspect infected prostates) because of his
insulinoma.  If the insulin level is lower he would feel better about the
surgery.  I am trying to find out, do I risk the surgery and losing him to
better his life, or let him medicinally continue and risk him plugging up,
making him a poor surgical candidate?

Right, now he is more active and steadier than my one year younger guys.
Now, he's a good surgical candidate, but for how long?

If you have the time to respond as quickly as possible I would be
immeasurably grateful.

Doing all I can do,
but will it be enough?
my sincerest regards