From:
Kym Isear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:00:53 -0500
I was just reading Jacqueline's post about Mycoplasma in ferrets.  I
have done a little research regarding this because I had "babysat" my
girlfriend's rat while she was getting her apartment painted.  Her rat had
Mycoplasma.  Since I had at the time 2 ferrets so I called Dr. Doolan.

Rats and mice can get the same Mycoplasma from each other.  Ferrets, as
well as a lot of other mammals, also have the ability to get infected with
Mycoplasma but they cannot catch it from rats or mice.  Ferrets with
Mycoplasma can only spread the deadly disease from other ferrets.  The pet
store that man saved the baby from only had one ferret, correct me if I'm
wrong, so it is unlikely it has Mycoplasma.  One less thing to worry about.
That story did sound like an episode from the movie "Falling Down"!  I
applaud you but if that pet shop isn't reported to the health authorities,
they may go and get another ferret for their store.  Being that this kind
hearted man was "punished" they may feel safe enough to get another one.  I
say Kudos to that man and he should try to keep an eye on that store, in
case another needs saving (but do it through the authorities next time!).

Kym and her incredible trio