From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:16:29 -0700
Ok, I have a situation that I would like feedback on regarding
integration.  I have 8 ferts - 5/3 separated.  My three boys Max, Peanut,
and Raider are not MF ferts they are 5,4,3 y/o respectively and have never
had any health problems or surgerys that would cause behavioral problems.

Peanut is sweet for the most part and given the opportunity can and will
integrate with other ferts, however, Max and Raider are a whole other
story.  Max and Raider tag team other ferrets and on observation want to
kill the new ferret in their territory.

Yesterday, Pikachu escaped an open cage door unnoticed.  The next thing I
heard was him screaming for his life.  I found Max was at Peeky's throat
and Raider was trying to grab Peeky's privates/stomach area.  Raider was
also trying to do the alligator death roll on him.  This is not the first
time I have found M&R going after ferts together.  Infact it is quite
common they tag team together if given the opportunity.  They will
continue to fight/maul the other ferret(s) until I separate - leading me
to believe they will fight to the death or at the very least until one
ferret is seriously injured.  This is something I am not willing to find
out.  (Another time I when I went to separate - one of the ferts had
another by the eye).  Now you can't tell me this is not dangerous or life
threatening - just like a medical diagnosis - one cannot tell by an email
post, no matter how descriptive, that infact your ferrets might really be
trying to hurt one another unless you are present and see the interaction
yourself.

I also believe that undue stress upon older ferrets can and will bring to
the forefront health ailments that can be life threatening.  Ulcers for
instance and (in my opinion) stress can also cause hormonal inbalance and
the adrenal gland to be over productive thus resulting in adrenal disease.

I do not have a degree in biology or psychology or animal
sciences/behavior, but I have been an animal owner my entire life and can
read animal behavior quite well.  In the case of Max and Raider, I KNOW,
they will never integrate with other ferrets and I am not willing to hurt,
stress or frighten another animal because "it can be done" - I don't think
it's fair to the ones who are scared or simply do not want *another
brother or sister* to have to share their space.

Tanya