From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:52:08 -0500
Last night was one of Meltdown's aspirin nights and early this morning she
began GI bleeding again.  Delayed her early morning Furosemide and got Pepto
(never had to start Carafate with her so don't have it here) into her.  Poor
thing hates it but I begged and told her it was belly-fix so she actually
took it instead of flinging it.  Sat with her for a very long time.  Now she
wants to sleep in her cage.

Have message in for Hanan to call us as soon as he gets in.  Poor guy; he
loves Meltie very, very much, and he's a dear soul who cares for us, too, so
he always wants to help, but there are real limits in what can be done for a
ferret this far along with cardiomyopathy.  Everyone at the Basking Ridge
Animal Hospital has been so wonderful so MANY times for her and for us.
Now, I wonder if she can have Carafate or some other shield before her
aspirin, or if we should try less aspirin, or if we will have to drop the
aspirin and just chance that, or what.

Part of me thinks of what she was like this morning and thinks she'll be
gone today or tomorrow and realizes that she has had more than her share of
miracles, another part remembers that so far it has seemed three times like
she was no longer going to be here then she just perked right up and enjoyed
herself again.  If anyone can be an inspiration for getting all the goodness
from life it's her.  She's on my lap now; having just now awakened and
piddled, then she looked forlorn so I grabbed her up.

For those who don't know, Meltdown has had cardiomyopathy for around 10
months, and started off with a complication which had not been treated in
ferrets before (ventricular bigemini).  For most of her time sick she has
had a VERY easy time once the meds were figured out, and she has been on
borrowed time now for two months since she's now on startlingly high levels
of Furosemide, but still mostly having fun (which why she is still here).
She's 8 years, 3 and 1/2 months old.  She's shifted now and is watching my
hands as I type (which means I am typing around my knees because I have to
hold them up to make sure she can't slide off); it's interesting what they
find fascinating some times.

Sukiegvvbk,

Okay, now she went in again, nd I'll sign without her help this time.

Sukie

She just passed more blood and then cried.  Fortunately, she stopped crying
as soon as took out the bloody paper.