From:
"H. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:15:35 -0500
Susie -

I too called Dr. Williard about the Vit.  A question.  I also tried to call
Dr. Kemmermer, but I was told I should just wait until you posted on the FML.

Basically, the information I have received, particularly from Dr. Tom
Williard of Totally Ferret, suggests that the amount of Vit. A in ferretone
is not shockingly excessive (ie, not in amounts that will kill a ferret
within a few weeks of taking the recommended dosage).  I'm sure that there
is no need to march to the doorsteps of 8 in 1, and demand that they stop
poisoning our pets.  However, the information that I have received also
suggests that the amount of Vit.  A in ferretone is higher than it probably
should be, particularly in combination with the Vit. A found in high
quality foods.  I do think that the amount of Vit. A in the recommended
dosage should be reconsidered by the company as part of its ethical
responsibility to the community it serves.

Yes, I do know they're out to make money.  Putting less Vit. A in the
recommended dosage may cost more initially for reformulating the product and
reprinting labels, but it will not cost them sales.  It might even increase
sales.  As it is now, many ferret owners are cutting ferretone with other
oils, thereby making a bottle of ferretone last a really, really long time.
If we didn't have to dilute ferretone, we would use a bottle more rapidly,
and theoretically buy more.  It would also cost them less to put less Vit.
A in the product.

Ferretone was developed in the late 80's, when no high quality ferret foods
were available, and few high quality cat foods were available.  The amount
of Vit. A and Vit. D (another fat-soluble vitamin) was based on cat studies.
Perhaps the amount of Vit.  A in ferretone was acceptable then, when ferrets
would be getting no other source of Vit.  A.  But ferrets who are fed a high
quality food need no supplements.  We know that now, but a lot a new ferret
owners don't, so they give their ferrets the recommended amount of ferretone
every day in addition to the food the ferret is eating.

{Later......}

Good news.  I just found out unofficially that 8 in 1 may have already
decreased the amount of Vit. A, and Vit. D, in ferretone.  I'm am currently
waiting for information to be sent to me from 8 in 1 to confirm this.  When
the information arrives, I will post more.  So, until I do, please don't
innundate 8 in 1 with calls about the decreased amounts.  It's quite
unofficial as of yet.

Heather