From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:52:50 -0800
I always tell myself I won't go into Scamps', it always depresses me...
Scamps' is a "mall pet store", for lack of another description.  Anyway,
I went into the one at Lloyd Center in Portland, OR, just briefly, no
idea what I was thinking...they have 20 (yes, 20) ferrets in one of those
2 story black cages that fits, maybe, 2, somewhat comfortably, as long as
they allowed out to stretch their legs.  Granted, these are baby ferrets,
but still, 20????  All stuffed into this cage.  One gigantic bowl of
food, no litter box.  They are priced at $99 -- $70 off the regular
price.  Indicates to me they seem to want to sell these critters.  They
have cages that are built into the front of the store, so you can see the
inhabitants as you are walking by...1 cages holds extremely un-moving
hermit crabs, 1 cage holds an expensive puppy dog, 1 cage is empty, and 1
cage...holds 2 betta fish containers.  And, here are _20_ ferrets stuffed
into a little cage halfway into the store.  I tried to talk to one of the
people who work there, at that particular time they were extremely busy
and the rest of the store gave off an aura of busy-ness, with people
walking in and out, in and out...nobody, though, I noticed, holding a
ferret.  Or even wanting one.  Some of you can imagine the smell coming
from _20_ ferrets stuffed into one cage.  Some of the customers sure
thought it was stinky.  Ugh.

Minta & Ralphie