From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:49:07 -0700
>From: debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Suposidly a New Ferret Rescue/Shelter In NJ
>
>Does ANYONE have information on a "Ferret" Rescue/Shelter called
>"Ferret Home Rescue Shelter" being run by a Heather out of Egg Harbor
>City, New Jersey who had been posting on some of the Yahoo groups??
>
>I privately e-mailed her for more information such as a contact number
>the day she posted and have not heard anything back from her. I
>contacted New Jersey Fish & Wildlife and they have never heard of
>her or her rescue.

Please Folks,
There are so many posts on Craigslist with folks posting as shelters,
asking to take them all in. These are good hearted folks, with the
best of intentions. Let's embrace them, show them the way, not
alienate them.

We are critically in need of shelters and sanctuaries, do not attack
them here or elsewhere. Please refer them to our Shelter/Sanctuary
membership.

It does not matter whether your are 501c3, whether you have 5 ferrets
or 50 or more, we are working as a shelter and sanctuary community to
best serve and protect the ferrets in your care.

Do not attack them, embrace them, let's see what we can do to start
them off on a good path of sheltering, with just basic protocols, and
instructions on how to set up a shelter. We will visit, bring food
and supplies.

With Debi's post, it's almost hopeless that we will ever hear from
this person again. The posting shelter op was attacked on every
forum, without any onsite inspection, and casted as a hoarder, and
worse, turned into the NJ authorities. By being turned into the NJ
authorities, it put every ferret in her possession at risk of being
put down. I don't give a rat's ass whether this person was legal in NJ
or not, you just do not turn illegal ferret owners/shelters over to
the authorities. That action was so not cool. California has set the
bar with this standard, with their underground.

There was just no good reason to go global with this person's contact
into, accusations of them possibly being hoarders, without any onsite
inspection.. The worst offense, was bringing in the State of NJ
authorities to remedy the situation.

Damnitall. I've contacted this person, offered help. I hope, but don't
expect to hear from them, and I don't blame them. Let's pray that they
didn't turn the ferrets loose, or worse out of fear of reprisal from a
visit from the NJ authorities.

If you're a shelter or sanctuary, or want to be one, come join the
group that will help you.

Barb Clay
Shelter Rep/The Ferret Council
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Shelter_Council/