From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:52:45 -0500
>we have read that if our vet had removed both adrenal glands (like he said
>he did) that he should have told us she needed hormone replacement drugs he
>never mentioned it. we have also read things about a drug called Lupron I
>have given him the info we found on it and he said he had never heard of it
>so he is checking with some other vets he knows should we be concerned
>about our vet or is he doing what is common?

The fact that she never needed the hormone replacement is a good indicator
that not all of the adrenal tissue was in fact removed.  If she is still
a good surgical candidate, I would recommend another surgery.  If she is
not, Lupron will help to control the symptoms, but not eliminate the
problem.  The fact that your vet is willing to talk to other vets about
the treatment is a good sign - perhaps you could give him this list's
address?  Recommend Dr. Karen Purcell's book on ferret medicine, or
another recent text.

Many veterinarians are not as up on ferret medicine as they would like to
be - perhaps your vet just needs to know that the info is out there.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.