From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:15:33 -0800
>From: Deborah Benson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets as therapy animals
>
>Has anyone in the ferret community attempted to re-educate these
>people?

Deborah,

I only have a few short minutes to respond but wanted you to know that
I am facing a *somewhat* similar situation with Delta Society here in
Seattle, WA. I met a rep for DS while working a pet show several years
back and told them I've been looking for a place/places to partner w/
where ferrets could be used in pet therapy programs (at the time, I had
a PERFECT subject - my ferret, Dante, who was an EXCELLENT candidate as
he was a remarkably sweet, gentle but still active senior ferret. He
has since passed unfortunately).

The person never indicated that ferrets were not allowed in their Pet
Therapy program and I've since talked to them about whether or not they
are and they've never really said "yes" or "no" definitely. In fact,
they continue to call me on a regular basis, inviting me to all of
their "functions" while knowing that I work exclusively with ferrets.
So not sure what's up with that.

I need to follow up with them b/c I've been overwhelmingly busy the
past few months and need to know where they stand before getting any
more involved. If there isn't ever going to be an opportunity to use
ferrets in their program, I'm not going to continue to work with them.
Don't get me wrong - they are a find establishment and I wholly support
their mission and efforts. However, I am focused on work/therapy
exclusively with ferrets and if they cannot/will not allow them in
their programs it won't be the right opportunity for me/us.

Feel free to email me directly if you have more info. to share
off-line.

THANKS much!

Jennifer