From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:34:59 -0400
I came home late after a grueling day, and went in to find my Java Joe
had left this world.  I found his little body lying peacefully in his
hammock.

He was a rescue from the town pound.  It would be four years ago late
July when I heard that there was a ferret in the pound, and I went there
just to bring some food for him and make sure they knew how to care for
a ferret.  Well, he was a big, beautiful, lovable boy who won my heart
right away.  He had a luxurious pale sable coat, with a white bib and
white knees.  He was very healthy with an outgoing personality, and he
obviously had been well cared for, so I was sure his family must be
looking for him.  I posted notices in the pizza parlor where he was
found, but no one ever responded.  So, after his mandatory week in the
pound, he came home to live with my crew.

His coloring looked to me like a cup of coffee with lots of cream, so
we named him Java Joe.  He fit right in and was a joyful addition to
the business.  He was a happy and fun-loving chub-a-wub (he was really
overweight when he first came to live with us).  Running and playing
with my crew got him in shape, though.  He liked the occasional raisin,
but never really had a sweet tooth - he went for healthy treats.  He
loved climbing through the long flexible tube that my business got for
Christmas one year.  He would go though on his back, on his side, and
every which way.  If anyone was coming through from the other direction,
he would open his mouth like a piranha and chase them out backwards!  He
was a very enthusiastic kisser, and my neighbor kids loved him.  They
will be so sad to hear the news.

I never knew just how old he was, but my vet estimated he was two or
three when I got him, so he was getting up there after almost four years
with us.  He had been losing weight over the past year, and his energy
level was diminishing too.  He got a clean bill of health at his most
recent check-up last fall, but he continued to wind down.  I had an
appointment for him next week for blood work, etc., but now that won't
help him.  In a way I'm relieved, though.  I didn't want to put him
through what my last ferret went through, with force feedings, sub-Q
fluids, distasteful meds, and in the end she died anyway.  She was
very old and in kidney failure, and it only prolonged the inevitable.

So my my sweet boy Java Joe went peacefully into the night.  Sandee,
please help Java Joe to find his buddies Alfalfa (Big Al) and Clover,
soul mates who both went over the bridge last year.  I'm sure they will
all be so happy to see each other again!

Nancy and critters