From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 08:53:38 -0400
Regarding the concern that ultrasound tests may not show adrenal tumors, and
perhaps only if they are advanced.......

This is the first I have heard of this concern.

My vet who does the tests for the shelter, Dr. Kendrick, did mention to me
that it takes quite alot of skill, both on the part of the one performing
the test, AND the one reading the results to get accurate results.  But it
is done regularly at his clinic.  [One more reason to be sure you find the
*best* ferret vet possible, and *I* drive over one hour to get to him, even
though there are dozens of vets that are only 10 minutes or so from me.]

I have been using Dr. Kendrick for two years and the test has worked
beautifully every single time for us, the tape of one particular test he
did, is now being used for training purposes.

We have found some pretty small tumors with the ultrasound, and according to
Dr. Kendrick, it is not uncommon at all for adrenal tumors to be quite
large/advanced *before* any outward signs are present that would cause a
ferret owner to even see the vet.

    ***Do not put off adrenal surgeries, folks!! ***

Also, I have just recently learned with Duchess that the vulva does not
always swell, and with Sammy, there may not always be hairloss.  The adrenal
gland is a very complex organ, different symptoms appear depending on which
part/layer of the gland is affected by the tumor.

If you wait for *all* the right symptoms to appear, that may mean the tumor
has completely consumed the entire gland, and it may be spreading to other
organs.  These tumors can spread quickly.  If other organs become infected
they can become inoperable altogether.  [That is what happened to Rikki,
misdiagnosed for a year before we got her so no surgery was done.  Now she
has a large tumor and her condition is inoperable, she is only 4.]

This is just my opinion, I am sure not all will agree.  But *I* will not
have a surgery done without and ultrasound first, I have seen too many
reasons they are important.  They cost us more (I think $143 each), but it
is worth the peace of mind!!  With Duchess, we knew we had a tumor on the
*right* side before we went in and that helped me to prepare...I DON'T like
surprises!!  An ultrasound test told us Cocoa's tumor had become cancerous
and was too large to even consider putting her through surgery.  The test
*spared* her the trauma of sugery on top of being terminally ill, and I am
glad for that.

Kisses to all the fuzzies.

Trish