From:
Kenneth Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:06:11 -0500
I have to disagree with the anonymous poster from Sunday. I too am a
nursing student, and I was a veterinary surgical assistant for several
years. I have used the $100,000.00 simulation dummies and they are
nowhere like the real thing. Dummies do not react differently to
various anesthesias. Dummies do not have the variations on placement
and angles, and locations that living bodies do. Dummies do not have
rolling veins and plunging veins, or vasoconstrictions, and it is very
difficult to tell when you blow the vein on a dummy. the flesh of a
dummy is nothing like the flech of a living creature.

I do not like animal testing or use for unneeded research or commercial
testing. If a student practises on the physiological simulators and
has a good touch, then I would not mind them working on my ferret. The
animal is under sedation, and otherwise lives a good life. I do not
want that medical student to have any human baby the first living
being he ever intubates, and when he scrapes the mucosa say "Whoops".
If vocal cords are accidentaly damaged, I would rather it be on a
ferret that does not depend on them, than a human being who would be
handicapped and stigmatized for life. Agree with me or not, I am sure
of my position and proudly post my name. Nursing students should always
have the courage of their convictions. How else do you stand up to a
Dr. about to kill your patient.

Thanks!

Ken