From:
Patricia Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:47:30 -0400
Happy Easter ferrets to all!

A quick response to the poster who asked about leaving harnesses on for
convenience.  Both our Houdinis-Smokey and Rocky-have managed the great
escape outdoors more than once.  Both wear padded collars with tag and bell.
We do all we can, but accidents happen.  We have also made sure our
neighbors know we have them.  I tried leaving the harnesses on (H-pattern,
carefully fitted, quick release tabs) and found in fairly short order both
had irritation behind the front legs.  Also, when they were sleeping it
seemed to impede their normal fluid grace in turning etc.  So-if we go
walkies- the harnesses go on and the leashes.  It does not take long with
the quick release harnesses.  The neck part is pushed over the head and the
body part is presized and just clicks together.  With the old style buckle
harness, it was like trying to shove a live eel full of jello down a narrow
tube!  Rocky is the better climber and filching fitch of our two.  My mom
sent Bob a zip lock bag of chocolate Easter eggs.  I unpacked it, put it on
the table between us, went to the kitchen and when I got back (less than 5
min), no bag.  I asked Bob if he liked them and he said "Liked what?" Dive
to the floor and start checking stash spots.  When I found it Rocky tried to
distract me into playing, but I took it back any way.  He was not amused.  I
gave him a dried liver treat (Lamb's liver) to assuage "my" theft, and he
was happy again.  Glad they were in a ziplock so all stayed intact and
together.  Got to love 'em.

Also, Snoopy (now 2+) had his distemper shot, given in the neck?, with only
a little sleepiness to show for it.  The news was he has gone from 3# to
4.4# since we have had him.  Big boy.  I took Rocky in too as he was a
shelter ferret whom the vet, Dr. Titterington, had treated and he was
impressed.  I felt like the proud mama of a graduate or something.  This vet
really likes ferrets and even has the poster in his office.  He practices in
Eugene, OR if anyone from there needs a vet.

Well, got to go get snacks for hubby, friend, dogs, cat and ferrets before
all come looking for me.

Dook, dook!
Pat