Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:49:25 -0800
>From: FerretMommy <[log in to unmask]>
>You stated that you microchip all your ferts, May I ask when you began
>this practice???

Certainly you can ask!!  What I said was "We microchip all of our ferrets
and some of our rabbits." This is written in the current tense and was not
meant to imply that we have "ALWAYS" microchiped (past tense) all of our
ferrets and rabbits.  I have been involved in rescue work since 1987 and
AVID has only been involved in selling microchips since 1990-1991.

We began microchiping SOME of our ferrets in 1997 when we were taking in
so many ferrets each week that we were all finding it difficult to keep
track of who was who.  We tried food color in their ears, but it wore
off, so microchiping seemed the most logical thing to do to keep accurate
track of them.  During 1998, 1999 we microchiped approximately 1/2 of
our ferrets (yup money issues,) during 2000 we were operating the
ferret shelter as a public off site location for the Washington Ferret
Association and adopted only around 30 of our own ferrets.  During
the first part of 2001 we were still microchiping for identification
purposes, but mid year we made the decision to begin microchiping 100% of
our incoming ferrets.  All ferrets *entering* the shelter after that time
were microchipped but a few months ago, we bit the bullet and purchased
enough microchips to chip ALL of the ferrets in the shelter.  So as of
that time (it may have been August or September) ALL of our ferrets and
SOME of our rabbits are microchiped.

We continue to work closely with Liane at Washington Ferret Rescue and
some of the ferrets who come in here are immediately transferred to her
shelter (not usually microchipped) and some who come in to her shelter
are immediately transferred to us (and then microchipped).  It depends
upon who has how many ferrets.  (I've recently written that since the
first part of September our two shelters have been inundated with newly
surrendered ferrets and we could both use some foster homes.)

Because of the increased cost of the microchips, we have stopped having
our vet do rabies vaccinations.  We do our own distemper vaccinations, but
Washington state requires that a vet do the rabies vaccinations and that
cost was $10/ferret.  Instead of paying $10 for the rabies vaccinations,
we're paying $8.50 for the microchip.

>I am one of the proud parent of 6 and 3 of them came from your shelter.

I have no record of someone named Kim or Reggie adopting from our shelter.
Could you check your adoption contract?  As I said, during 2000 we also
did adoptions for the Washington Ferret Association perhaps that is who
you adopted from?  That association is now disbanded and Liane started
Washington Ferret Rescue and has recently incorporated as a 501(c)(3).
Perhaps your ferrets came from that shelter?

Over the years I've only 3 ferrets to a total of 7 different people and
they are the ones I tend to remember! :-)

>You say you chip them to identify them, Again I do not wish to get on
>anyone's bad side but none of our are chipped.

*If* you adopted your ferrets from us, we would be happy to microchip
them for you for our cost.

>So please forgive me .... I just want TBLRR&FH to not miss represent that
>they have been chipping that long of a period.

No need to forgive!  Since you misunderstood my statement, others may have
as well.

Sandi :-)

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
   dba House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org