From:
Jennifer Ahler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:47:14 +0000
This is a direct quote from The Ferretden (In Milwaukee WI) Newsletter
No. 44.
"Interesting Facts" Amber Kowalski, one of our members, asked a customer
service representative at Marshall Farms why there are tattoo marks on
some of the ferret's toes that came from their breeding farm.  The answer
was each veterinarian marks a certain toe of the ferrets they work on.  If
this is so, what about the ferrets with no toe markings?  Who fixed these
guys?  If you find out, let us know and we will pass it on.

I thought that was relivant to the question of why are there tattos on
toes.  The other post that I wanted to respond to was the person who asked
if anyone fed kitten food instead of ferret.  Yes!  I no longer feed foods
with BGH or BHT in them (they are chemical preservitives that may or may
not be harmful).  These chemicals are found in Marshalls food as well as
Science Diet and quite a few other foods.  The only ferret food I have
found to be "safe" is the 8-in-1 and the 8-in-1 Ultimate, although
honestly I have not checked Masuri to see if it is "safe".  So I now feed
my ferrets Nutro's complete care kitten (which is designed to keep teeth
clean and prevent hairballs as well), California Natural's food, and the
8-in-1 Ultimate.  I have to honestly say that even thoughthe food isn't
as good I also put in some Eukanuba kitten because my 6 furrballs seem to
love the stuff.  Just thought I would give my 2 cents.

Jennifer Ahler