From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 13:51:58 -0400
Veterinary texts have dosing info in them. Ferrets should never be
treated without a vet and the vets should not try treating ferrets
without learning about them, which means having multiple veterinary
texts right at hand for any species. Even Amazon sells some.

The first is that if a pill is not marked with an indentation for
splitting that it can NOT be split safely because the medication is
not evenly distributed but instead must be compounded with the right
kinds of matrices for the given medications, but there is much more
and it is readily available in conveniently searchable archives such as:
and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
Vets having and studying the veterinary texts for the specific species
is really the BEGINNING part of providing care. After that the texts
are referred to as needed.

Not all medications are the right medications for every illness, and a
shotgun approach can be a mistake.

Here are some past posts on medications and I'll just snarf from my own
so as to avoid violating the copyrights of others but their posts can
be found by all, too: