From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1993 23:47:17 -0400
From:   S.THOMASON3  [Scott Thomason]    93/07/21 21:19

Sub: FML

Bill--
...If you'd be so kind, please post this to the FML for me?

Paul Engle--
     Talking about the flack you ran into at the vet with Terpsichore:  Yes,
Texas (at least the Parks and Wildlife Department) considers ferrets wild
animals.  I've heard one P&W Dept. official quoted as saying, "Ferrets do
NOT interact with humans.  They are wild animals, and they will always be
wild animals...."  Talk about your basic stupid, overblown red-neck
attitude! However, there is no state law prohibiting their keeping as pets,
and the STATE does not prohibit administration of rabies vaccine to them.
There are many ferret owners in Texas with legally vaccinated animals.
After all, IMRAB is a rabies vaccine USDA approved for use in ferrets.  In
case it has any bearing on your situation, it is a killed virus vaccine.
You need to find another vet.  Sounds as if yours may have an attitude
problem.  I'll see what I can find out in the way of ferret treating vets in
your area.  There's also a Houston based ferret club and I know of at least
one breeder in the area.  If John Gaver doesn't get it to you first, I'll
send club contacts too.  I think the vet was mistaken about the legal status
in Harris County.  Local contacts can probably help, but you might consider
calling both city and county animal control.  Also, try the main branch at
the library-- call the reference desk and ask for info on animals
specifically allowed or disallowed as pets in Houston, Harris County, Fort
Bend County, and whatever city and county you may live in.  Hang in there,
we'll get you help and you ferret a vaccination.

             Debra in Ft. Worth, Texas

=