Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:52:54 -0500
Carmen,

Thank you for asking about Darling Dancer.  I would love to hear of your
method for dealing with this problem.  But if you don't mind, post it on
the FML for the benefit of others who maybe still having a problem also.  I
literally took Dancer out of a bad pet store situation.  My husband and I
were both keeping an eye on her as time permitted because she had been
there nearly five months and we both knew she had a bad biting problem.
One day, one of the girls called me in tears saying that two of the younger
employees assigned to clean Dancer's cage had been slapping her and
spraying bitter apple in her face and that she was getting worst.  I went
down and got Dancer after a big argument with the management..... later
did some training with the employees.  Today they no longer sell ferrets.

I came home that day with Dancer attached to my finger.  She bite through
my nail and tore the cuticle.  In the next two months I had stitches from
one bite and twice got bad infections.  Little Dancer was a holy terror.
My Doctor as well as our vet advised us to put her down.  But ....she was
joyous, curious and cute as a button.  And she loved my husband, Steve.
And he loves her.  She seldom bite him.

After three months she was still biting me and the scars on my hands were
embarrassing not to mention the scars on my heart.  Troy Lynn Ekert one of
the wonderful FML people explained to me how to hold her teeth and say "no"
or insert my finger to the back of her teeth.  After being very persistant
and very careful I might add, this technique starting working some of the
time.  I would also wake her two or three times a day and kiss her and tell
her she was a good girl and give her treats.  She is always a sweet little
thing when first awake!

Over time we noticed that she was likely to bite me if she was very excited
and playing or if I took something a way from her.  She throws the most
awesome temper tantrums I have ever saw any animal have and I presently
have 19 of a variety including 5 other fuzzbutts.  She hops up and down,
rolls on her back kicks her legs, digs, spins, bites, runs into the wall
and makes very definate attempts to do you some harm.  Smile!!!!!  Today,
we stand back and just let her throw a fit.  She is in to everything every
waking minute.  We have learned to watch how we handle her when she is in a
mood and we are gentle and loving towards her.  So she is much improved.

Wow, that was long and windy.  I just wanted you too have some background!
Sorry folks. :>)

And by the way....me and the 6 fuzzies thank everyone that answered my
question regarding heavy whipping cream as a treat.  Everyone said it was
okay.  There was much celebration and dooks when I took them their creams
that night.  I haven't answered those emails yet because I have been sick
with the flu but personal notes are forthcoming!  Thanks again.

Victoria the Mom to Pokey Pasha, Yoshi Girl, Darling Dancer, Kissy Kodo,
Chew Chew Chewbacca, and Sweet Sassy the Fabulous Fuzzbutts, Miss Molly and
Fidget Feather, the piggies, Misha, Mimi, Mitzi, Jake, Angel and Sammy, the
kitties and Hannah and Pisser, the bunnys!

Come see us at <http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/2610/