From:
outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:07:00 -0800
Wow, this is weird for me ask for medical help.  I'm usually the helping
someone else, well I'm actually doing this for someone else.  I'm stumped
and so are the vets.  Ok, about 4 days ago I got a call from an elderly
lady who has an approx.  4 yr female ferret.  (She has had ferrets off
and on most of her life, just last year she lost a 7 yr old female to
lyphosarcoma.)  The ferret is waisting away, constantly throwing up any and
all food.  The only thing she keeps down is ferreivite and raisons and
pedialyte for the most part, sometimes the pedialyte comes back up also.
One vet said he couldn't find anything wrong with her.  Even tho the lady
could clearly her a slight wheezing in her chest.  The vet said lungs clear
and prescribes Flagyl.  I told the lady to stop with the Flagyl because if
she's constantly throwing up, the Flagyl wasn't helping matters.  The lady
didn't know how awful Flagyl was until I told her to taste it.  She took
the ferret to another Vet today (Tuesday), he kept her all day for exrays
and blood tests.  She has no blockage.  She's pooping what she does keep
down and poopie looks fine.  He did say that he could hear something in her
lungs and thinks she may have a very small piece of food there.  The sound
is not a cold wheezing sound, but makes a sound no less.  He suspects
insulinoma.  But she isn't showing any of the classical symptoms.  She runs
around and plays some one day, then the next she is real lethargic.  So
does anyone have any idea what this might be?  Remember we are in CaCaLand
and most vets treat ferrets as they are cats and dogs, this one vet seems
to know a little more.  Also this lady lives on a fixed income.  I have
paid the vet $75.00 to start treatment.  I don't know how much this will
end up costing.  If anyone would like to help her.  Her name is Lee H., the
vet is Dr. Don Kang, DVM, at the College Pet Clinic, 475 Colledge Blvd.
Ste #8, Oceanside, Ca. 92057, (760)631-2080.  It's for Lee and Lisa the
ferret.  Thanks to anyone on the FML who helps this lady.  She is a really
nice and very caring lady.  It would be really hard on her if she loses
Lisa, as she rescued her from horrible people.